NEWS + 24 PHOTOS: Britain’s largest and most environmentally-friendly cruise ship, P&O Cruises Iona, arrived into her home port of Southampton for her official naming ceremony.
P&O Cruises Iona is powered by liquefied natural gas, ground-breaking for the UK cruise industry and one of the cleanest fuels in the world.
The ship naming ceremony is hosted by Jo Whiley and broadcast to a “virtual” audience, the highlight of which will be Iona’s music director Gary Barlow performing a short set.
Dame Irene Hays, chair of Hays Travel, Britain’s largest independent travel agency, will name P&O Cruises Iona and a specially produced Nebuchadnezzar (equivalent to 20x 750ml bottles) of Alex James’s Britpop cider will smash against the hull of the ship to bring it good fortune in the future.
P&O Cruises Iona will have 30 bars and restaurants with many new speciality dining options including tapas from award-winning Spanish chef José Pizarro paired with wines selected by Olly Smith and a new Chef’s Table menu from Marco Pierre White.
Entertainment venues include the first “SkyDome” – an extraordinary glass structure which will be a relaxed poolside environment by day and then transform at night into a spectacular venue with DJs, stage and aerial acrobatic shows.
There will also be the first gin still on a cruise ship, created in association with Salcombe Gin, distilling tailor made spirit on board. The gin’s maiden production will take place in Iona’s custom-made still named “Columba” and will be distilled, bottled and labelled on board.
P&O Cruises president Paul Ludlow said “It is a landmark day for both P&O Cruises and for the travel industry as a whole. We are on the cusp of a bright new beginning and Iona’s arrival into Southampton this morning is very visible evidence of this much anticipated future.
“Our guests are longing to get back to sea and P&O Cruises Iona’s summer season of UK coastal cruises, including her maiden voyage on August 7 up to her namesake island of Iona, have seen overwhelming demand.”
P&O Cruises Iona statistics
· Tonnage – 185,000 GT
· Length – 345m
· Breadth moulded – 42m
· Total engine power – 61.7 MW
· Propulsion power – 37MW
· Speed – 17kn
· Guest capacity– 5,200 Crew – 1,800
· Guest cabins – 2,614
· Largest ship ever to fly the UK flag
· Built at the Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, Germany
· The largest ship built to serve the UK market, with a 5,200-guest capacity
· More than 30 places to eat and drink
· Four swimming pools including an infinity pool and 18 whirlpool spas (six infinity whirlpool spas and 12 whirlpool spas)
· The first gin distillery at sea in partnership with Salcombe Gin
· Gary Barlow is music director of The 710 Club
· Powered by liquefied natural gas – no sulphur/nitrogen emissions & a 20% reduction in carbon
· 26 suites, 95 conservatory mini-suites, 1,486 balcony cabins, 174 sea view cabins, 811 inside cabins and 22 single occupancy cabins
You might also like to read P&O welcomes new ship Iona
Source: P&O Cruises
BOOK YOUR CRUISE BEFORE PRICES GO UP!
Check out Cruise Direct for great cruise deals and to book your next cruise. You can use your current cruise credit or voucher: Cruiseguru Cruise Deals + Shop.
Cruise Direct has about 30,000 cruises and has served more than 500,000 customers for the past 20 years. Reviewed by more than 10,000 people, the company has earned a 4.7/5 rating.
Cruise Direct is a Cruiseguru Affiliate and Cruiseguru may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you if you book a cruise.