Having set sail on her maiden cruise from Reykjavík Iceland, the 228-passenger Scenic Eclipse cruise ship arrived at Manhattan Cruise Terminal to be christened by Godmother Dame Helen Mirren
along with Glen Moroney, Chairman and Founder, Scenic Luxury Cruises and Tours. Ensuring the cruise ship christening ran smoothly, master of ceremonies Claire Newell was on hand to introduce Scenic Eclipse Captain James Griffiths and NYC Ports General Manager Ken Winkler who presented the 1st Visit Plaque to Moroney.
Moroney then delivered a short speech that spoke of the creative drive and determination to deliver such a unique sailing experience and detailed the history of the build from its first moment of conception.
Karen Moroney and her design team comprising Carmen Mikus (Interior Project Design) and Niksa Fiorienni (Architect) were acknowledged as the creative drive behind Scenic Eclipse.
Reflecting the cruise ship’s stylish and exclusive ethos, the official naming ceremony was attended by over 350 global media, agents and VIPs who witnessed Dame Helen Mirren christen the ship dockside by breaking the ceremonial bottle of champagne against the hull and bestowing the traditional blessing of safekeeping over all those that sail in her.
Dame Mirren added,“I was thrilled to be invited to take on the role of Scenic Eclipse godmother, even more so now that I have stepped aboard and seen the level of design detail and technology that have gone into her creation. She is an exceptional cruising experience, and I’m honoured to have christened her. I wish her crew and guests many years of sailing adventures and discovery.”
Designed to deliver the ultimate cruise of a lifetime for 228 guests, (200 in Polar regions), Scenic Eclipse takes ocean cruising to a whole new level – marrying luxury and discovery with the ultimate in safety and sustainability, giving guests the opportunity to explore above and beyond what was previously imaginable.
Scenic Eclipse has 114 all-verandah suites ranging in size from 32 m² to 247 m²; 10 dining options from Asian Fusion to French fine dining, Chef’s Table to a poolside buffet; the 550 m² Senses Spa with latest technology-equipped gym and separate yoga and Pilates studio.
Two six-guest helicopters and one six-guest submarine Scenic Neptune capable of depths of nearly 200m; a state-of-the-art theatre for entertainment and lectures; indoor and outdoor plunge pools; butler service for all guests; and an almost 1:1 guest-to-staff ratio.
And then there is the technology: innovative zero-speed stabilizer fins, 50 per cent larger than standard to provide greater stability cutting roll by more than 85 per cent; the highest passenger ship ice class rating – Polar Class 6; redundancies in propulsion, navigation, safety systems and food refrigeration; state-of-the-art bridge systems; and a GPS dynamic positioning system allowing for stationary positioning without an anchor, reducing environmental impact and enhancing safety during Zodiac operations.
Scenic Eclipse Facts
- 114 all-verandah suites;
- 10 dining options – from Asian Fusion to French fine dining to a chef’s table to a poolside buffet;
- a 5,920 ft² spa with a well-equipped gym and separate yoga and Pilates studio;
- two six-guest helicopters and one six-guest submarine capable of depths of nearly 1,000 feet — to allow for explorations far beyond any done on expedition ships to date;
- a 240-seat theatre for entertainment and lectures;
- indoor and outdoor plunge pools;
- butler service for all guests and an almost 1:1 guest-to-staff ratio.
- innovative zero-speed stabilizer fins, 50% larger than standard to provide greater stability;
- the highest passenger ship ice class rating – Polar Class 6;
- redundancies in propulsion, navigation, safety systems and food refrigeration;
- state-of-the-art bridge systems;
- and a GPS dynamic positioning system allowing for stationary positioning without an anchor, reducing any environmental effect in sensitive regions.
Scenic Luxury Cruises & Tours has grown over its 33-year history to include award-winning, all-inclusive escorted tours that take participants to many of the world’s most fascinating destinations. Sister brand Emerald Waterways has seven Star-Ships offering European river sailings with an eighth (Emerald Harmony) launching this year for SE Asia’s Mekong River.
Photos and information courtesy ScenicEclipse and GilliesZaiser.