UPDATE/NEWS + 10 PHOTOS: Royal Caribbean’s Odyssey of the Seas has completed the final chapter in its construction but will NOT be debuting in Haifa, Israel in May 2021 as originally planned due to the current conflict in the Middle East. The ship is currently headed to Port Canaveral, Florida.
For an update read Six Royal Caribbean ships to sail in U.S. in July and August
Royal Caribbean Group Chairman and CEO Richard D. Fain, President and CEO of Royal Caribbean International Michael Bayley, and Master of Odyssey of the Seas Captain Per Kristoffersen received the new ship from Meyer Werft Yard’s Managing Partner Bernard Meyer and Managing Director Jan Meyer in the customary handover ceremony.
“Receiving Odyssey of the Seas into the Royal Caribbean family is a welcomed breath of fresh air. The ingenuity, passion and hard work our dedicated crew, teams on land and partners at Meyer Werft put into building a new ship always deliver, and to pull it off so well during a time unlike any other is incredible,” said Michael Bayley, president and CEO, Royal Caribbean International.
“We are looking forward to delivering the memorable vacations we’re known for today on a ship that will mark several firsts for us such as introducing Quantum Ultra Class to North America.
Every new ship is a blank slate to go bolder and be different, and Odyssey is bringing the very best of the new and guest-favorite features across two continents for the years to come.”
Odyssey is the second Quantum Ultra Class ship, and just in time for summer, it will welcome Royal Caribbean’s first guests where travelers above the age of 18 and crew members are fully vaccinated.
Watch the Royal Caribbean Odyssey of Seas video
Odyssey will embark on a transatlantic crossing for its North American debut where it’s slated to offer Caribbean itineraries to idyllic ports of call like Aruba, Curacao and Perfect Day at CocoCay, Royal Caribbean’s private island destination in The Bahamas.
Weighing 169,000 gross tons and measuring 1,138 feet (347 meters) long and 135 feet (41 meters) wide, Odyssey will be the first of its kind to call Florida its home later this year.
Vacationers of all ages are in for a combination of 12 all-new and first-to-brand experiences as well as the signature adventures guests know and love, including:
- Caribbean-inspired pool deck– Sporting a whole new look across two decks, Odyssey’s two open-air pools, four whirlpools and Splashaway Bay, anchored by a Quantum Ultra Class first – The Lime & Coconut bar – are designed for all travelers to enjoy the sun and stars in style.
- SeaPlex – The next-generation of a longtime Quantum Class favorite, this SeaPlex is the largest indoor and outdoor activity center at sea, and debuts this venue’s first Playmakers Sports Bar & Arcade.
- Giovanni’s Italian Kitchen & Wine Bar and Teppanyaki – Two Royal Caribbean restaurants new to North America join the varied lineup of dining options on board. The fresh take on the cruise line’s signature trattoria is the first to introduce its new wine bar concept while the other serves up East Asian flavors in the traditional Japanese style for which its named.
- Action-packed top deck – Returning guest-favorites include the gravity-defying SkyPad virtual reality bungee trampoline adventure, FlowRidersurf simulator, skydiving with RipCord by iFly, and the iconic North Star all-glass observation capsule that boasts 360-degree views from 300 feet above sea level.
- One-of-a-kind entertainment – In typical Royal Caribbean fashion, Odyssey’s full-scale productions take top billing in teched-out venues such as the Royal Theater and Two70, where immersive technology, unparalleled special effects and world-leading performers and aerialists take the stage alongside six agile Roboscreens for a multidimensional live show.
You might also like to read Royal Caribbean Odyssey of the seas cruise ship most action packed ship
BOOK YOUR CRUISE BEFORE PRICES GO UP!
Check out Cruise Direct for great cruise deals and to book your next cruise. You can use your current cruise credit/voucher.
Cruise Direct has about 30,000 cruises and has served more than 500,000 customers for the past 20 years. Reviewed by more than 10,000 people, the company has earned a 4.7/5 rating.
Cruise Direct is a Cruiseguru Affiliate and Cruiseguru may earn a small commission if you book a cruise. Thank you for your support!
For deals on Flights and Hotels check Trip.com here: Cruiseguru Cruise Deals + Shop.