NEWS: Holland America Line celebrates one year back to cruising. Nieuw Amsterdam was the line’s first ship back, resuming cruising July 24, 2021, in Seattle, Washington. The ship reached the one-year mark while in port in Whitter, Alaska.
“The emotions and excitement from a year ago still resonate today as destinations around the world open and we persist in fully getting back to cruising,” said Gus Antorcha, president of Holland America Line. “We are grateful to our guests who returned to sail with us, to our team members who came back to sea, to the ports that welcomed us, to our partners who stood by us and to all of our shoreside employees who got us back in the water. Over the past year we have operated more than 240 cruises, and we look forward to continuing to offer more memorable vacations.”
Over the past year, Holland America Line’s 10 remaining ships restarted in a variety of destinations as ports opened to visitors. In addition to Alaska, the brand has resumed travel to Canada/New England, the Caribbean, Hawaii, Mediterranean, Mexico, Northern Europe, Pacific Coast, Panama Canal and South Pacific. Before the end of the year, the ships will return to Australia/New Zealand and South America/Antarctica.
The highly anticipated 71-day Grand Africa Voyage sets sail in October 2022, while the 128-day Grand World and 74-day Grand South America and Antarctica voyages depart in January 2023; Asia itineraries will resume in February 2023.
Return to Service Dates for Each Ship
Holland America Line paced the return of its ships over the year, welcoming the last ship back into service in June 2022:
Eurodam, Aug. 15, 2021; Koningsdam, Oct. 10, 2021; Rotterdam, Oct. 20, 2021; Nieuw Statendam, Nov. 21, 2021; Zuiderdam, Dec. 23, 2021; Noordam, April 24, 2022; Oosterdam, May 8, 2022; Zaandam, May 12, 2022; and Westerdam, June 12, 2022.
Volendam began housing Ukrainian refugees in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, April 5, 2022, as part of an agreement announced with the Netherlands and City of Rotterdam. The ship will reposition for a September 24 cruise from Italy.
Fun Facts and Figures Since the Return to Service in July 2021:
- Cruises sailed: 242
- Different ports visited: 169
- Nautical miles sailed: 502,565 (577,950 miles), enough to travel to the moon and back two-and-a-half times
- Glacier visits in Alaska: 122
- Team members welcomed back on board to serve guests: 12,287 (98 different nationalities)
- Unique shore excursions operated: more than 2,000
- Funds raised for On Deck for a Cause: $210,000
- Meals served: more than 6,500,000
- Specialty coffee drinks served: 700,000
- Beers consumed: 1,117,306
- Soda, water and juice consumer: 3,235,855
- Entertainment: more than 25,000 performances
- Trivia questions asked: 76,000
- Floral arrangements: more than 60,000 fleetwide on cruises
Source: Call 1-877-SAIL HAL (877-724-5425) or visit hollandamerica.com.
Also read Holland America back to Alaska cruising